Overall, it seems like crime rates are down during the coronavirus outbreak.  Which makes sense, there are fewer opportunities to go out and about.  However, domestic violence incidents are still a problem, which is also not surprising.  If people were having relationship problems before, being locked up together for extended periods are likely to make things worse.

Yesterday I posted that the Tennessee courts are open.  Despite what a lot of people think, if you are in a domestic violence situation with your romantic or domestic partner, roommate, or family member, you can get an order of protection that should offer you the protection you need.

If you have been assaulted or have good reason to believe you are in imminent danger of being in Davidson County (Nashville area), call the Office of Family Safety at (615) 880-1100.  They will advise you about how to proceed, and they can offer a lot of assistance with applying for an order of protection.  You can also just go to their office located at 610 Murfreesboro Pike, Nashville, TN 37210.  They are only open during certain hours though.

If you are unable to use the Office of Family Safety, you can also go straight to Night Court, which is open 24 hours, every day of the week.  Night Court is currently located at 512 1st Ave North, behind the fire station.  You will have to fill out an application (petition) for an order of protection, and this will take a little while.  But the option is there for you.

If you are located in other counties and you are in a domestic violence situation, reach out to somebody.  Start with the local police if you need to.  If you know of children who are being neglected or harmed, then you should reach out to your local Department of Children’s Services.  They are also open and operating, although with certain guidelines to protect their own employees.


Get help

First thing, get help.  If you can’t or aren’t willing to call for help on your own, contact a friend who will do it for you.  There is help out there, you don’t have to live that way.  If you need representation in an order of protection hearing (regardless which side you are on), call me at (615) 244-1018 x 102 and we can talk about how I can help you.