You should find answers to most of your questions below. The links are organized by category.
- Requirements for a valid marriage
- A summary of divorce procedure
- Grounds for divorce
- Irreconcilable differences
- What is an order of protection?
- What is an annulment?
- What is a legal separation?
- What is a marital dissolution agreement?
- What is a parenting plan?
- What is standard visitation?
- What is the statutory injunction?
- What is alimony? (see more on this below)
- What is a Qualified Domestic Relations Order?
- What is hearsay?
Filing for divorce
- Basic information needed to file for divorce
- Other documentation I will need
- How you should behave during your divorce
- Why you shouldn’t be dating during your divorce
Building your divorce case:
- How the discovery process can help win your case
- How a private investigator may help
- How your spouse’s lawyer will use your social media page
- How the court will divide your assets
- Details about property purchased after the divorce is filed
- A recent case about property acquired during a divorce
- Property division for unmarried couples
- How debt is divided during a divorce
The marital residence:
Child custody/Parenting plans:
- How the court will create a parenting schedule
- How to change the parenting schedule
- Your ex-spouse, overnight visitors, and the parenting plan
- How the courts are changing the paramour provision
- Why you can’t terminate the other parent’s rights
Child support/Child support enforcement
- How child support is calculated in Tennessee
- Who is Child Support Services?
- Contempt of court, and how it’s used to enforce child support payments
- How the Tennessee courts have changed contempt of court
Extended child support for adult children with disabilities:
- Why your prenuptial agreement may not be valid – part 1
- Why your prenuptial agreement may not be valid – part 2
Conservatorship/Power of attorney
- How to know if your child needs a conservatorship
- General information about conservatorship
- General information about power of attorney
- Proof of a disability, an example
Information about hiring a lawyer:
- How can I reduce my legal fees?
- Why hiring a “bulldog” lawyer may not really help you
- Lawyers should work to settle cases efficiently
I need a laugh, do you have any funny stories?
- How courthouse security protects you from wallets
- A fight over potato skins
- Being clear with your spouse
Don’t see the information you’re looking for? Please don’t hesitate to contact me with your questions!